Friday, July 14, 2006

Working Girl

Well I've finally started work! Today is Friday and we've just wrapped up our five day training course in Virginia for IBM. I got here Sunday night and don't leave until 9:55 tonight! It's been a long week. During normal project weeks I should be flying out on Monday morning and returning Thursday evening. So that will seem a little shorter than this week. It's been really good though. There are a lot of people who have consulting experience and the orientation was a bit slow for them I think. But since I've never done it before it was invaluable for me. I learned about the million administration responsibilities I have, from forecasting my time, logging actual time, expenses, and about four or five different career and performance documents that are filled out throughout the year!

I am not 100% sure yet about my first project. I have spoken with my manager and I might be on a project in Chicago. IBM has been awarded the project but I think the contract or something hasn't been signed. When I talked to my manager he was at the airport and it was really hard to hear exactly what he was saying. But basically the project should be going ahead but it was still at a stage where something could go wrong. But if it all goes through it would be just perfect for my first project. Firstly, it's about a 45 minute flight which is wonderful because I won't have a huge travel time. Also if my flight was cancelled I could rent a car and drive down as it's about a three hour drive. Secondly, the project is slated to be big and high-profile so will get me lots of exposure and should help me build some good contacts with senior IBMers. And finally, my role would be Lead Analyst leading a team of 2 or 3 IBMers and maybe some employees from the client side. And I would be lead analyst for an area that I am really comfortable in. So I am really hoping this pans out. If it does he said I would start around the end of July, which means another good thing in that I get next week off (well, 'on the bench', meaning not working on a project). I will be glad to have some down time to do all the new hire documentation that I can't actually do until next week because I'm still getting processed through the system and my accounts aren't set up yet.

And I'm afraid to say that I'm pretty sure I'm going to gain a good 30 pounds being a consultant. Last night I had to make the decision not to go out to dinner with any of the groups from my class. Every night has been really great, rich food and the obligatory glass or two of wine. Last night I decided to get take away just so I could eat something slightly better for me and have water with my meal. The first night a bunch of us went to this wonderful seafood restaurant where I had seared tuna with this great cajun sauce drizzled over it, sitting atop lobster mashed potatoes. Oh my! It was soooo good. Tuesday we went for sushi which was good and you would think not as filling, but I was really full when we left. And Wednesday we went for a curry and simply gorged ourselves on appetizers, mains, naan bread, rice, and sides! I think I'm still full from that.

I can't believe I still have five hours until my flight! Luckily there's another sucker who's flight isn't until 9:30, so I have someone to go to dinner with at least. Hopefully that will help the time go a little quicker. I'm looking forward to seeing my cats after this big break away from them, but sadly I won't see John as is still not in Indy yet. He's given his resignation but his last day isn't until 28th July. We are hopeful the house will complete at the beginning of August and he will be here maybe in the first week of Aug. I am very much missing him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home